To us a decking is the definition of the great Australian dream. We believe a home with a deck is a happy home. Let us design and build an entertaining area that adds value to your home but more important value to your life.
The team at MJ Harris Carpentry is made up of some of the best decking builders Melbourne has to offer. We have a wealth of knowledge in designing and constructing the perfect decking and integrating a deck into the landscaping of your garden. In most cases a deck is the transition point between house and garden. It should be an inviting space that is easily accessible from both areas.
We can help you design a new deck or repair and improve your existing decking to increase your properties potential. . If you’re not sure what sort of decking timber to use on your deck our team of carpenters can help you make the right decision based on your needs and the look you are going for.
Deckings built to last
We build our deckings to last, using only hardwood or treated timbers. Our fixing are either galvanised or stainless steel to prevent rust. All cuts and joins on our subfloor timbers are primed before installation. We coat our timbers posts and tops of joists with bitumen paint to prevent timber rot. We take every measure possible to ensure our deckings survive through Melbourne’s harsh climate.
Timbers and products we recommend:
- Merbau Decking: An imported hardwood originally from Indonesia, Merbau is one of the most popular decking materials. Its durability and toughness make it extremely resistant to damage, while its natural deep red brown colour provides a pleasing aesthetic.
- Treated Pine Decking: Pine is a soft wood, which means it is less dense than many other decking options. However, it is very economical and durable, and it takes stain exceptionally well. Its pale yellow colour lends it a more ‘rustic’ look.
- Ironbark Decking: A Eucaplypt hardwood native to Australia, ironbark is highly dense and durable. Its name comes from its silvery-grey colour in the wild, which has the appearance of metal. Ironbark has a very high natural resistance to rot and to fire, which makes it increasingly popular as a decking option.
- Spotted Gum Decking: Also native to Australia, spotted gum is less durable than ironbark but is still very hard wearing. It has a distinctive wavy pattern in the timber and ranges from light to dark brown in colour.
- Blackbutt Decking: Blackbutt decking is a hardwood derived from New South Wales and Southern Queensland. This species of timber is pleasing to the eye with an even grain and even colour varying from golden yellow to pale brown. Blackbutt is a very dense timber with natural resistance to termites.
- Composite Decking: If timber isn’t for you, composite decking has come along way other the past few years. Composite decking is a mixture of plastic and wood fibres bonded together with a bonding agent. This product is dense and strong and will outlast timber with no maintenance required. There are many styles and colours ranging from natural timber look to solid colour finish.
If you’re concerned about the ongoing maintenance, we have options there too. Our ongoing annual maintenance program will take care of all your deck’s requirements and keep it looking fresh and new for years to come. Wear and tear is inevitable when it comes to decking so our partners at MJ Harris Painting are on call to freshen your deck up with a new coat of paint when necessary.
Ask us about how we can add to your deck with these add ons:
- Privacy screens
- Bench seats with storage options
- Pergolas and awnings
- Outdoor kitchenettes
- Plumbing including running gas directly too your barbecue
- Staining & oiling of timbers
- Bifold doors and servery windows
- Underdeck storage
Most deckings we build require balustrades, some of the styles we work with are:
- Timber balustrades
- Stainless steel wire balustrades
- Glass balustrades
- Wrought iron balustrades
- Stencil screen balustrades
This recent outdoor living area was designed and built by MJ Harris. We had been given the task to create an ideal area for entertaining. Taking theme from every ‘great Australian dream’ the timber deck, we designed the ultimate aussie deck. We removed existing timber doors and installed a a four door double glazed bifold […]